"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

To my daughter


When you hold your baby dolls

tandem to your chest to

breastfeed,

you keep the past.


When you bury a dark stick

in the yard-- totem up

to compost it,

you keep the future.


When you tell the window to

Go up!,

waiting for it to move,

and you scorn my cell phone

for its inability to Skype,

you live an age

I thought fiction.


When you play house with me

-- the kid too scared to go to school,

you stroke my face saying,

Don’t be scared. It’s okay.



You become my mother,

I become your child.

~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.