"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Intinction

Intinction

            I.
On the seaside chapel
breeze blowing through our
cheerful solemnity

we filed forward to
a white porcelain cup.

I grabbed it
he struggled briefly,
but I drank
wine to my lips--

cruising back to
our seats, I noticed
everyone else
was
dipping

            II.

In the towering oven-shaped
chapel
Brennan Manning taught
then lead communion.

I thought you said
he was a hermit sort
six months out of the year

Here’s Jesus, he said
Let’s eat him, I answered
lustily

everyone else
was
silent

            III.

In the Methodist church
on Christmas eve,
we walked to the front

someone gave me
a large piece of bread,

I . . . I had a cough drop in
my mouth
I put the bread in my
pocket, while

everyone else
was
eating

            IV.

In the French Coptic
Monastery I
interpreted three words
of the sermon

My cough stormed
around the stone dome
like thunder

I drank white wine
from a golden goblet

everyone else
was
bored

            V.

In a small apartment
I took the saltine
cracker and chewed
carefully

I sipped the orange
juice
reverently

I bowed my
head to pray.




~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.