"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life is Noise

Life is noise.
Hold onto a few threads of silence,
an’ we get -- s w e e t mu-sic.

Ever since I heard a lecture on ethnomusicology by a brilliant professor at Messiah College, my idea of music has changed.  I've tried to write a poem about it for ten years.  The poem is terrible, but the idea is amazing.  The difference between noise and music are the addition of rests.  This applies to life as well.  Life can be a cacophony or a symphony depending on how much we rest.  My friends on the east coast today are enjoying a "snow day."  I hope that despite the hard ships they are enjoying a much needed break.  My poem may never work out, but a few months ago I was able to write a song on this subject.  It's fun to sing.  The first line is similar to a poem by John Donne, "Goe, and catche a falling starre/".  Falling stars are the subject of many songs, but below you will be catching songs instead.

The Ring Shout Bend

(Chorus)
Catch a song and
hide it in your pocket,
you will never hear a sound

Sing it out and
all at once you've got it,
the s-w-e-e-t-est music around (2x)

Catch a rhythm,
put it all together,
then you can break it down.

Break it down (2x)

(Verse 1)
Tambourine rattles
TAT A TAT BANG

Harmonica humbles
WA WA W-A-N-G

Tap your feet with a
RING SHOUT BEND.

Turn around and
do it again! (2x)

(Verse 2)
Tambourine rattles
TAT A TAT BANG

Harmonica humbles
WA WA W-A-N-G

Tap your feet with a
RING SHOUT BEND.

Catch my song
and let it go again. (2x)

~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.