"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Friday, March 5, 2010

Iambic pentameter

The Penguin Book of the Sonnet: 500 Years of a Classic Tradition in EnglishA poetry professor told me that if I mastered the sonnet I would be able to write anything  Help for the iambic pentameter of ten syllables is hard to find.  The sound of a sonnet reminds me of riding a horse.  I prefer the short didactic rhythms of nursery rhymes.   I think I need to practice.

Iambic pentameter is one horse
walking two and a half steps down the road
I prefer to walk three and a half steps

on my own two feet, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.