"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Monday, April 19, 2010

My Childhood was One Long, Long Summer Day


My childhood was one long, long summer day
and a thousand winter nights --
dreaming of rainbows only I could see,
or remember the smell of the cake shop across the street.
Swiss Family Robinson ‘til all hours a.m.,
journaling endlessly about me versus them,
Taking in old movies on TNT,
cuddling with my kitten who loved only me,
brushing and curling my hair for all hours,
wearing Great-Granny’s nightgown with magic powers,
five hundred bowls of popcorn with butter,
drinking warm cinnamon milk while wrapped tight under covers.
My childhood was one long, long summer day,
but the nights I remember best,
and I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.