"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Friday, June 25, 2010

Sunlover

Gene Kelly confessed truly
love's first light
to his yellow umbrella,
splash-dancing
through fictional puddles
in patent shoes...

I'm singin' in the rain
just singin' in the rain
What a wonderful feelin'
I'm happy again.
I'm laughin'  at clouds
so dark up above
The sun's in my heart,
and I'm ready for love.

This was my song on summer days
when I wore a ponytail
and a bandanna--
before I could imagine
your sun rising
in my heart.

Some people say
new love fades from
its dancing frenzy
only to be transformed
into something dark
enough to hide in your pocket
heavy enough to sink to the bottom of
the water filled studio street,
lost.

Honey, I never lost
that sun,
it burns brighter than ever--
but I'm so old and tired now,
when it rains,
instead of dancing,
I'm just glad to have
someone to share
my umbrella.

4 comments:

  1. The last stanza reminds me of "The Giving Tree." So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I remember that bandanna and ponytail. :) You've made very intimate sentiments feel universal. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.