"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Monday, August 30, 2010

In the Night Kitchen

In the Night Kitchen (Caldecott Collection)
Dear Mickey,
I'm so proud of you.  I know you
can handle anything while I'm at work.
Make sure to let yourself in after school
and eat something from the icebox.
It's your job to watch over the house
while we're gone.  Don't let anyone in.
Don't answer the door.  Please remember
to put the bread in the oven, I left it rising on
the counter.  Please start making the batter
for Papa's birthday cake.  Beat the eggs
for the full ten minutes.  I left the cookbook
out for you.  And make sure to change out
of your school clothes.  I'll be home soon.
p.s. Here is some money for the milk man

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.