"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sugar Cookies

I remember her sugar cookies and the smell of the metal bowl, the coldness of the plate cover and the promising lump within-- the oily smell of the colored sprinkles and the
prize of the candied silver balls 

two escaped-- one in my mouth and one of the floor.  I see her hand as we move the ginger bread man together. Her hand over mine until it arrives safely on the baking sheet.

And when I see his face on my kitchen counter
I hear him say he will run away as fast as he can--
only it is in her waggling, serious story voice. 

 I dream she has run away and she has been pretending all the time.  She can run perfectly, even ride a bike.
When I wake up, she is gone-- in an ambulance
with silver wheels.

And there among the emergency rooms we give her water
out of a straw onto her mouth.  She is a featherless fledgling.
The room down the hall reads "nourishment."
And I think of gingerbread men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.