"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Friday, May 20, 2011

Donne with Work

My work is hilltop of tall Autumn grass
where I planted an orchard,
a patch of brown straw sticking up where
I expected to pull pits out of peaches,
ripe heads of weeds swaying where
I intended to preserve endless summer.
My tears are the rain on the grass where
I planned to taste sweetness.

I will harvest the grass worth nothing to anyone,
and with the damp reeds and wet strands, I
will weave one basket-- then another.

My work is a bare hilltop
where I will plant an orchard,
a patch of earth where
I will tend new trees,
ripe peaches hanging where
I pruned small branches.
My laughter is the rain on the orchard where
I climb my ladder to the top of each tree.

I will harvest the fruit worth something to everyone,
I will carefully pluck each one, I will set it it in this basket.
I will fill one --then another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.