"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rules in Fairy Tales

Number one, always give food to a hungry beggar women who asks of you.
Number two, always let your greedy older siblings take the best stuff.
Number three, listen to animals that tell you to do things.
Number four, bet all you have on the impossible.
Number five, don't correct people who misunderstand who you are.
Number six, stop to cry.
Number seven, follow directions to the letter.
Number eight, follow directions to the letter.
Number nine, being eaten isn't the end.
Number ten, your presence changes the kingdom.

3 comments:

  1. I love this list. I've kind of thought about this before but never quite figured out all the rules. I got the most obvious - The ugly old beggar woman is the smart one and you should not only listen to her but never ever try and trick her. But the men in my family are disagreeing here... pointing to the stories of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty as examples that you should NOT Engage in conversation with beggar women by the side of the road. Or old spinning women in Castles, I guess. Well,I suppose there must be exceptions. Nevertheless, I intend to follow this list of rules every time I enter a fairy tale from now on. It's mostly common sense. I just needed someone to compile the list to make it easy to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. I've kind of thought about this before but never quite figured out all the rules. I got the most obvious - The ugly old beggar woman is the smart one and you should not only listen to her but never ever try and trick her. But the men in my family are disagreeing here... pointing to the stories of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty as examples that you should NOT Engage in conversation with beggar women by the side of the road. Or old spinning women in Castles, I guess. Well,I suppose there must be exceptions. Nevertheless, I intend to follow this list of rules every time I enter a fairy tale from now on. It's mostly common sense. I just needed someone to compile the list to make it easy to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when you apply these rules to real life, your life is more like a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.