"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Monday, December 30, 2013

Here is a wonderful poem by one of my favorite writers.  He is a guest blogger and, at my request, wrote a letter to a children's book character.  I think, however, my brother might be the world's first poet to incorporate the fourth dimension into this poems.  There are links in here to explore as well.  Enjoy. Visit his blog here.


Dear Alice,

Welcome back from the other side of the looking glass. I’d like for us to have a talk about your problem of always being the same size.
Magnitude is silly when you see that the nature of perception is as dynamic as your relation to your own imagination. Don’t think about that on this side of the mirror.
I’m fond of mushrooms too. Usually, I have to eat them before I see strange talking animals. You can pretend to be a talking animal anyway, no matter what you put in your eggs. I’ve pretended to be a talking animal for years. 
I heard there was a Tea Party in Washington these days. When will they learn that everyone involved is always mad? You can’t have a sane Tea  Party. Not on this side of the mirror.
For cats with detached smiles, I think singing a popular Björk song works best. Just don’t throw the cat, that’s what I’ve learned. Throw your voice. Make that cat wonder why it started to sing from behind it’s clenched teeth.
For royalty, always assume that there is some strange game in store. If it’s chess you must play, call it checkers the whole time and insist you don’t know the rules. Allow them to choose all your moves until they defeat themselves. Applaud their cunning.
That’s all for now dear, if we ever meet on opposite sides of a mirror I’ll be sure to disappear at once and not leave my teeth behind. I hate talking behind my own back.
With love,
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.