"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

100 First Words

My first poetry reading, age four, with
my grandmother, Alice D. Hixson.
What if I could chose
the first hundred words
you, little child, would learn.

What if I could pluck
them ripe from some
organic heirloom tree

their stems easy to snap
What would they be?

Gentle
Careful
Cracker
Soup
Flower
Bee
Strawberry
Kitten
Book
Look

each one heavy with juice
packed in sweet hay 
to prevent bruising
each one ready for you
to use. Each one, one
of your first hundred 
words 

1 comment:

  1. You knew many more than one hundred words when this picture was taken, but the photographer saw something. That connection between you and your grandmother and words and art and story. It was what you shared and what she contributed to you over and over. A gift that can never be taken away.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.