"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lost Dogs

I found this Folk Song that I rewrote based on an old favorite.  I know some of my friends have lost their dog this year and I noticed that this song, which I blogged years ago has one of the most all time hits of any of the pages in my blog.  So I thought I'd repost this again. It really is a fun song to sing, based on the tune "Streets of Loredo" -- you can find in on youtube if you don't know the tune.

As I was a walking one morning for pleasure
I spied a young cowboy a-walking along. 
His dog were a with him an' the leash it were hanging.
And as they approached, he was singing this song.

[Chorus]
Hey, Hey! Get along little doggie.
We've taken our turn; we're all on our own.
Hey, Hey!Get along little doggie.
You know that it's time to get along home.

"Early each morning I take out the doggie:
he barks, he jumps, he wags his fair tail.
But then when I leave him to go on my journey,
he circles the yard and wears in the trail.

[Chorus]
As I was a walking one morning for pleasure,
I spied the young cowboy a-walking alone.
His eyes were a red, like he had been crying,
"My dog he did die, and now he is gone."

[Chorus]
Hey, Hey! Get along little doggie.
We've taken our turn.  I'm all on my own.
Hey, Hey!Get along little doggie.
I know it's your time to get along home.

"Let's take him together and lay the sod o'er him,
and then, I told him, we'll have a good cry.
You'll sit down beside me and tell your sad story,
of how that sweet pup so sadly did die."

[Chorus]
Hey, Hey! Get along little doggie.
You've taken your turn. We're all on our own.
Hey, Hey!Get along little doggie.
Now it's your time to get along home.

I spied the young cowboy early next morning.
He looked a sight sorrowful and he couldn't sing his song.
"Your dog, I told him, runs in a green valley, 
so let's walk together even tho' he is gone."

[Chorus]
Hey, Hey! Get along little doggie.
You've taken your turn. We're all on our own.
Hey, Hey!Get along little doggie.
Now it's our time to get along home.

1 comment:

Please leave your comments here.