"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Sons (2011)

You’re forming your first stories
and words are like blocks to you
towers to tumble or kick with a hard sole.

You tell me about your sons.
There are six of them. You ride in a car to your house.
They climb ladders to hammer the roof.
You fix things together.

Sure they are just stories, but I like to think
that at two, you can see under that arch of time
to a place where I have grandchildren,
where life continues on, instead of falling away.
into a place where we’ve become a big family,
who works together to build things up.

In your vision, life is sunny, and the trunk
of the car is full of tools to build a good life.
A life of strong hands attached to the arms 
of people who are there to help each other.

And my hands, inside these old rubber gloves,
under the water in the sink will come out
old and wrinkled...and full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.