"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Monday, September 29, 2014

Teaching the dog how to walk

Every day I take the dog out
I teach him how to walk
how to resist following a scent
not to pull on the leash
never bark at strangers.

Every day I take the dog out
I teach him how to walk
how to resist chasing a bird
not to pull on the leash
never bark, no never bark
at neighbors.

Every day I take the dog out
I teach him how to walk,
but you know he is teaching
me-- how to follow a scent
how to pull against what binds me
and to always shout, always
shout out to my neighbors.

Every day we go out for a walk
my rescued hound-- with the buck shot
in his foreleg, and me with all the
scars I carry. Both abandoned,
both rescued.  My dog,
he teaches me what it looks like
to be faithful, I teach him
how to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.