"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Benton

I found this poem in my notes of a nonfiction biography project about Thomas Hart Benton, American painter. I often write a poem from the perspective of my main character to help me start a book, fiction or non fiction. I also wrote a tall tale about this character because he was so larger than life. 

Benton

I get up with the sun, but
it’s not to catch the light.
I pack my bag and beg
for a fight.  Out on the bluff
I brawl with the sun, with
shadows, barns, and everyone.
I stare at the sky
and the colors of the world
as the wheat crackles and spins,
curves and whirls.
I traipse down an old country
road, find some folks and watch
what they’re doin’.
Then I join ‘em
in a drink and a song.
Play my harmonica

all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.