"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Under the Rainbow

Driving home from work
signs glide by
trees float
grass hovers like a sheet
when we make the bed
children's faces in the rearview mirror
smile or gaze out seeing nothing
seeing everything
sometimes I wonder
how can I keep doing this
living each day without
stopping.
I heard once that trees
do not fly by.
They stand still.
I can't remember
the last time
I spoke to a tree.
Kids think trees
can talk, or they
used to. Do my kids
know what a tree is.
Do they really know?
Have they ever sat under
one for long enough
to hear it breathe?
Here is my exit.
169.
I take it every day.
North.
North
and as I turn
up and up
and around
I pretend I'm holding still
I remember the day
we drove under a rainbow at this
exit. Under and through.
And I knew that when the
rainbow was gone,
it was my job to
remember
it's
promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.