"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Frankly Tuesday

It was a Tuesday. The last words
in the diary of Anne Frank read,
But I keep trying to become
what I would like to be, and what I could be
if... if only there are no other people 
in the world. 
I wonder why, Anne. Why keep a diary?
Why write at all--
Why keep arranging words like
stones too heavy for one hand?
What can a soul locked up, have to say?
But then again, she said a great deal.
She loved a great deal-- the moon
through the dirty window, the country
called Holland, all people, a childish boy
named Peter-- another rock.
But we'll never know.
There are no more words in her diary,
these are the last. Here's what I think,
I really do-- if Anne had the chance
to write one more day, she would
have revealed her Friday
transformation--
Torn from her small cell, in the face
of losing everything-- I see her walk,
head held high. I like to believe,
she gained the one thing she wanted most,
and in doing so, lost the invisible
chains bound by her own hand---
Yes, outwardly captured, moved--
to a deeper prison. But I think
nothing could hold her by then
For she'd grown wings--
wings made of long strips
of words. Each word made of
letters, each letter, of strokes.
Each stroke lifting her
to freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.