"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

'Set a Course'

I know it's a bad night when Star Trek is on.
I like the sound of the doors opening
and closing. The swish of effortlessness
I like the hum of the engines
and the bubbling sound of pretend computers
computing the impossible trajectories
of plausible adventures.
I even like the sound of red alert--
it reminds me of my heart beat, like
my body is a ship, on a mission.
Sometimes it's on red alert,
sometimes yellow.
It journeys on a set course to
somewhere particular, everything
in place, everything as it should be.
Not one person missing. I like that
about Star Trek. And so I save it
for the nights the children are gone.
Nights where people are missing
and the hum of the refrigerator
sounds like a dial tone ringing
busy. Nights when I need to
be reminded that there
is a vector and with the
right equation, and a punch
to the upper cut, there will
always be a tomorrow. With
the right mix of passion
and logic-- surely,
we can
take this bucket of bolts
out for one more spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.