"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2016 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw.


Polly Alice

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Puss 'N Boots

So this letter is just to say that 
you think you've lost everything
but you haven't.
Here I am
just look at me. 
I'm the girl you've overlooked
from the start.
So what if you don't
have a great education, I never
went to school.
So you don't have any assets, 
or a farthing to your name.
I'm not allowed to own anything. 
So your rat of a brother kicked
you out of your Dad's old place.
So you've got
only the shirt on your back.
You haven't had breakfast.
Look down. I'm skin and
bones. I never get fed.
Look, 
I'm barefoot. Now.
Look --
at your boots. Yes, 
boots. And boots make 
the man. Are you a man
or aren't you? You can go
anywhere, do anything,
talk to anyone. If I were
a man I'd have this all
fixed in a jiffy. I'd have
a new job, a new name,
and a wardrobe to match.
I'd have people offering
me... 

Give me your boots. That's
right. Give me your boots
and I'll fix everything.
Just make me a promise.

Don't forget who 
saved your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.