"dazzle gradually"

"Dazzle Gradually" 2017 poems, paintings, new art & photography--a diary, a discipline, a delight. Read over my shoulder as I post my unedited poetry ---you can see it in the raw or get my first book and see how the work evolves with new books rolling out next year.


Polly Alice

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Chaulk

Dear God,
Give me a poem
and I will write it down
my pencil will
make its soft
cursive sigh
on pale newsprint
like the sound
of wool erasers
brushed over the blackboard
a sound so light
a sound half remembered
a sound as faded
as the color
of chaulk lines
erased but still there
where are they
now? only motes of
chaulk dust
filling the air,
accumulating
in my nose, my throat
they sting.
--the words
caught like
chaulk at the
back of my throat
caught like baby birds
in a hand
until I know--
I know now that
words can be
obliterated
turned to dust
--turned into
a hundred
whites of
meaning
a hundred weights
of light
soaring over
the classroom
where I
caught them
on strings
made of rainbows
and asked them
to walk a tame
line. Today
when I beg them
to fly, they
flutter on
half remembered
dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.